If you are here, we will assume that you are on the quest to find the elusive James Starrett Carson. Who is he? who are his parents? where did he come from? James himself is a brick wall, although we do know much about him, we do know enough.That's why this page has been put together, to hopefully get those out there who are also smashing their heads against the brick wall, so that maybe together we can find that one little document that we are all missing, that will bring down this brick wall.
If you have information on James S Carson, you can contact me at = Catslina1@hotmail.comSo what do we know about James Starrett Carson?
- 1. There is no definitive proof his middle name is Starrett, what we do know is that his middle name starts with an 'S'
2. We do know he died in Fayette County, Il. in 1835
3. There is no proof he was born in South Carolina, since there are rumors he originally came from Virginia
- 4. We know he participated in the Revolutionary War, since we have a land warrant giving him lands by President James Monroe
- 5. We do know he existed in Fayette Il, since the genealogical society included his name on a monument and dedicated it to those who fought in the Revolutionary War and lived in Fayette County
- 6. We know that his wifes name was Besty due to documentation of his will, but there is no proof of her last name being 'West'
- 7. James died Fayette Co IL 21 Mar 1835. His will bequeaths "unto my sons-in-law Isaac Renfro and Jonathan Anderson the sum of one dollar each." The will also mentions wife Betsy and sons Isaac, John and James and son-in-law Henry Lorton. Isaac Renfro was married to Rachel Carson
- 8. There are rumors that both he and his son James 'Blackhawk' Carson were both involved with the Battle of Kings Mountain
- 9. He is known father of six children: Isaac,John,Sarah,Rachel,Nancy,James
- 10. Some say his fathers name is John , no proof of this
- 11. To date there has been no proof in finding any of James's siblings
- 12. It is rumored he is somehow related to the Kit Carson lineage, no proof, although it has been found that Kit Carson's lineage goes from Kentucky back to South Carolina, back to Virginia, this is the same rumored background said to be the same as James Starrett Carsons background, again no proof of relationship.
- 13. According to the Historical encyclopedia of Illinois (Volume v.2 :2) James S Carson was from Henry County, Virginia, It's been said his wife Elizabeth was from Virginia, no proof on her
- 14. According to the Passenger and Immigration Lists Index,1500s-1900s James S Carson arrived to Charles Town, South Carolina in the 1774 at age 12